HONG KONG (CNN) - A six-year-old boy, whose eyes were gouged out in an attack in China in August this year, has been discharged from hospital after receiving prosthetic eye implants.
A spokesperson from the C-MER Dennis Lam Eye Hospital in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen told CNN that Guo Bin had left the hospital on Thursday afternoon after a farewell ceremony and would return to his hometown in Shanxi province .
During his three-month stay at the hospital, he was given orbital implant surgery that restored his appearance, but not his sight, the South China Morning Post reported.
The boy, also known as Xiao Binbin, was all smiles as he appeared hand-in-hand with his parents when leaving the hospital, where he received free treatment from Hong Kong doctor Dennis Lam, the paper added.
The boy was found bloodied and in a drugged state with both eyes missing near his home in late August. He'd been missing for four hours.
Chinese police said his late aunt was the prime suspect in the horrific attack, state media news agency Xinhua reported.
The boy's aunt, Zhang Huiying, killed herself two days after the incident by jumping into a well in the courtyard of her home.
Police said Zhang's DNA was found at the scene of her nephew's attack. Blood stains belonging to the boy were also found on Zhang's clothes.
Early reports suggested that Guo may have been the victim of organ traffickers, claims police later denied.
Guo will receive rehabilitation for his loss of sight and will need to replace his prosthetic eye pieces in six months, the South China Morning Post added.
Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >
Monday, March 10 2014 6:13 PM EDT2014-03-10 22:13:27 GMT
A seven-year-old boy, at West Newton Elementary School, is accused of touching three of his female classmates in an inappropriate way. The girls told their teacher about the touching last week, accordingMore >
A 7-year-old boy at West Newton Elementary School is accused of touching three of his female classmates in an inappropriate way.More >
Monday, March 10 2014 6:30 PM EDT2014-03-10 22:30:30 GMT
Following a series of complaints from residents living near the Paulding County Jet Center, the Georgia National Guard said it ceased its training missions there to try to be good neighbors. "ThroughMore >
Following a series of complaints from residents living near the Paulding County Jet Center, the Georgia National Guard said it ceased its training missions there to try to be good neighbors.More >