A two-year-old child, critically injured when a tree branch fell on his head during Superstorm Sandy, will wake Sunday morning without a breathing tube.
It has been nearly three months since Tripp Halstead was hit by a falling branch at his daycare in Winder. His story has moved not just Georgia residents, but people across the country.
Tripp was expected to finally be released from the hospital Friday when he suffered a big setback. He developed bacterial meningitis, a potentially life-threatening infection. He underwent emergency surgery Thursday night.
Doctors removed Tripp's shunt, pump and tubing. They were recently added through surgery to help him.
"When they pull everything out, they call it a bacterial shower, and it's all the bacteria that had been growing on his equipment releases and he has developed sepsis as well, which just compounds the problem," Bill Halstead, his father, said.
The surgery went well, and Saturday night doctors removed Tripp's breathing tube.
"Now he is sleeping soundly again. I have just been staring at that sweet little face. To think we had come so far, then to get the scare on Thursday that he might have a life threatening infection and we might lose him. Worst day to boot so far. I finally had my nervous breakdown, but I took some time and I am back in full force now. I love that he looks so good and is breathing all by himself and the Drs are certain he is going to live," posted Stacy Halstead, Tripp's mom, on Facebook.
They said the community support and all of the comments on the Tripp Halstead Updates Facebook page helps them stay strong for Tripp.
Copyright 2013 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.