Sales of portable space heaters start to take off this time of year. But be aware, space heaters can be dangerous. They cause around 1,700 house fires a year and some 70 deaths.
Consumer Reports just tested 19 portable electric heaters and checked to make sure they have adequate safeguards. One test assesses whether the overheat sensor shuts the heater off before it poses a fire risk.
With the Optimus H-5210 space heater, the sensor did not activate in time. The test fabric caught fire in a matter of minutes. The Optimus H-5210 also failed a second test where a folded cloth simulates a drape placed on it. Like most heaters, the Optimus carries a warning: "Risk of fire — keep combustible materials, such as furniture, paper, clothes and curtains at least three feet … away ..."
Consumer Reports says that drapes and fabrics can easily contact any heater in a typical home. And this is the only electric heater to ignite the fabric in its tests. Because of the potential risk of fire, Consumer Reports judges the Optimus Model H-5210 heater a Don't Buy: Safety Risk.
Consumer Reports contacted Optimus and test results the company provided show a potential safety problem with the H-5210 heater. A spokesperson says the company has fixed models manufactured for 2012. The heaters Consumer Reports tested — 2011 models — were purchased earlier this summer.
Consumer Reports is asking the Consumer Product Safety Commission to recall the Optimus H-5210. It urges anyone who owns he heater to stop using it and ask the retailer for a refund.
Consumer Reports also uses an infrared sensor to measure surface temperatures. The bar on the Sunbeam space heater model SQH310 gets hot enough that it could burn you if you grab it. Other tests measure performance to see how quickly each heater can comfortably warm a room.
In the end, Consumer Reports named the $40 Holmes HFH436 portable heater a Best Buy. It passed all of Consumer Reports' safety tests and can quickly heat up a room.
No matter which portable heater you use, Consumer Reports says it's very important to keep furniture, bedding and curtains at least three feet away from the heater. For more information log on to www.ConsumerReports.org.
Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. Consumer Reports contributed to this report.
Friday, May 24 2013 10:30 PM EDT2013-05-25 02:30:43 GMT
The story is familiar. Students park their cars in a lot at Emory Village, go into a restaurant for lunch, but when they walk out they see a sight that gives them indigestion. "I found my car was booted,"More >
Students have complained that, for years, Alpha Booting Company has swooped in and booted legally parked cars.More >
Friday, May 24 2013 7:16 PM EDT2013-05-24 23:16:39 GMT
(RNN) – When faced with a cleaver-wielding killer who'd just murdered someone, what would you do? For Ingrid Loyau-Kennet, the answer was obvious. Instead of running for her life, she engaged him inMore >
A British woman voluntarily put herself face-to-face with an alleged terrorist and may have saved lives. More >
Friday, May 17 2013 7:16 PM EDT2013-05-17 23:16:53 GMT
One person has died in a crash near Harrisonville, MO, Thursday evening. The crash happened on Missouri Highway 7 and Walker Road. It involved a car and a tractor-trailer. Harrisonville is in Cass County.More >
Savannah Nash celebrated her 16th birthday last week. She died Thursday when her car slammed into a semi while she was texting during her first time driving by herself.More >